Thursday, June 3, 2010

Magnetism

     A few months ago I was in a store picking out shelf paper.  It was a BIG store with LOTS of aisles and LOTS of products. The store was pretty empty (it was a KMart). As I was standing in front of the shelf paper trying to do math in my head, comparing patterns, etc.---you know, concentrating on a very important purchase---a couple walked up and stood right next to me to pick out shelf paper.  They were in my personal space.  I could not stand it.  I wanted to scream out, "I cannot think with you standing so close and discussing your shelf paper needs so loudly!  (Who takes their spouse to pick out shelf paper with them, anyway?  Maybe you do, but I cannot think of the last time R. cared about what kind of anything I bought for the house, least of all shelf paper.)  Anyway, I had to go roam around the store until they were finished so I could go back for my shelf paper.
     And so now I have been noticing how often that happens to me; how I can be standing in an empty aisle looking at something when someone comes out of nowhere to stand right next to me and look at the same thing. At the family history library it happened while I was finding a roll of microfilm---one out of almost 3 million rolls--- in one of the drawers.  It happened while I was looking at one small rack of newborn nightgowns at Target. It happened while I was pondering a specific kind of facial scrub at the same Target (different person, though).  I just think it's kind of funny now that I have begun to notice it.  I still want to say, "GO AWAY," but instead I just go away. I think I have a personal space issue I need to work on!
 

No comments: