Hey bloggers,
Our family blog is really dragging along these days so I decided to post something to pep it up.
I am excited about some new used books I just got, but when you see what they are you will know why nobody wants to be in a book club with me. The best thing about finding used genealogy books online is that they are SUPER cheap! And in "like new" condition! (hahaha!) Imagine how excited I was to find, "New Mexico in Maps" for only $2 and "The Platte River Road" for $3 (it has some incredibly detailed trail maps).
And the most exciting books of all....are you ready for this? A three volume set of, "Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States"!! That I got for FREE when a woman brought them into the Family History Center to donate, but we already had the series because I bought them for the FHC last year. I think I paid a couple hundred dollars for them new from the National Archives last year. (The FHC paid for them.)
If it were someplace other than the church I probably would have held a fundraising raffle for them, but even in a genealogy society I'm afraid we would not raise much money for them, since even among genealogists such a treasure is not as appreciated as it should be. I mean, somebody was giving them away for Pete's Sake! That was such a huge score for me, I was so excited, I lovingly toted/hauled them (they are very large and heavy) out to the car, and I pored through them when I got them home. Next time you come to visit we will read from them at FHE.
Now I know just how to find "Records of the Prison Industries Reorganization Administration" and "Records of the Shipbuilding Stabilization Committee." At last! Actually, I am excited for a bunch of other stuff like Bureau of Indian Affairs and Bureau of Land Management, and mining stuff. Yes, I said excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment