Monday, October 4, 2010

Things I Learned in the Pacific Northwest

Here is what I learned on my trips to Portland and Seattle recently:
1.  The fine for littering in Oregon is up to $6,230.
2.  You are not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon.
3.  In Seattle you have to know the difference between 5 different kinds of recycling materials in order to dispose of anything.  That's how many varieties of bins you will encounter at the airport or the rental house you are staying in.

In case you are wondering, I did not get busted for the first one, but I did get busted for the second one.  And I just gave up on the third one and threw things in the "landfill" bin when Aunt Cory wasn't looking.  Sorry, Cory!

And in case you are still wondering, I did not actually throw anything out my window in Oregon, I just saw the signs on the highway, and I did not get cited for pumping my own gas---I got yelled at by the gas station attendant.  It was traumatizing.  And then I found myself blurting out that I was from California and didn't know, which I think made him even more disgusted with me.

No comments: