Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The World is a Good Place

     Today I was at Home Depot buying some stuff to dog-proof the side garage so they can sleep there while we are out of town. I bought these giant panels of wire mesh stuff that I am going to attach to the shelves so they can't eat the boxes on the shelves.
     Anyway...what I really want to share with you is what happened when I was trying to load it in my car.  I guess when I was in the store I was imagining the back of my car larger than it really it is, because when I got out there it looked rather impossible.
     As I was struggling to get the 3 giant things out of the cart and into the car, the cart was kind of rolling, and the panels were obviously not going to fit in my car besides.  Just then this young man in the truck next to me hopped out and grabbed the cart, steadied it against his truck and asked where I was going because he was going to put it in his truck and take it there for me.  When I told him King City he apologized that it wasn't on his way, but then took the wire stuff and began to roll it into a giant cylinder that would fit in my car.  These two other guys ran up, and because they couldn't speak English, began to motion that they could help roll it and the three of them began to work on it.  Then the first guy ran over to his truck, pulled out a giant rope to tie it all up, and they fit it all in my car.  It all happened so fast I was amazed.  I was so grateful and thanked them for their kindness. When I got in the car I got all choked up thinking about all the good people in the world, and I was thankful some of them had been so quick to help me. And then I thought to myself that the men in our family would have done the same thing.
   It reminded me of the time a few years ago in Salinas when I had a flat tire in traffic, and as I was pulling to the side of the road in a semi-panic a car followed me, and a man jumped out and changed my tire faster than I could believe.  He had his little family in his car waiting for him, and when I thanked him and told him I was amazed how fast he was, he said in broken English, "I am mechanic!"   So that is why I say The World is a Good Place.

No comments: